Guide For First Time MoversMarch 14th, 2016
Congratulations, you’ve purchased a home!
It can be stressful moving into a new home. You might be overwhelmed with everything that you have to get done, or simply have no idea where to start. If you are a first time mover, follow these tips to get settled into your new home as quickly and easily as possible.
- Call an exterminator. If you are moving into a house that isn’t brand new construction, there could be bugs and other pests living there before you. Hire an exterminator before you move in to get rid of any problems. They’ll also let you know if there’s any damage to the structure of your home that need to be repaired.
- Hire a professional moving company. To avoid injury, it’s best to leave the heavy lifting to the experts. Mooney’s has been in business since 1919, and we’ve helped thousands of people settle into their new homes. We understand the process and use the safest practices when moving your belongings so you can get settled more quickly.
- Change the locks. Once you gain access to the house, you should immediately replace the locks and change any key-code combinations. Doing so will prevent any issues with previous owners and help keep you safe. While this process can be tedious, it’s imperative!
- Transfer utilities. Make sure that all of the utilities for the house are transferred over to your name. This includes water, electric, gas, and cable. By doing so, you help ensure you receive your bills and pay them on time.
- Make a budget. With all of those new charges coming out of your account, it’s important to have a budget set up to monitor your spending. Keeping track of your money will ultimately help you see where your money goes and enable you to save for the future.
- Meet the neighbors. Head over to your next door neighbors’ houses for a quick introduction. You are going to be living near these people for the foreseeable future, so it’s in your best interest to be friendly with them.
- Home renovations. While you may have some mandatory repairs that need attending to straight away, the experts at CertaPro Painters of Seminole County recommend holding off on major remodeling projects for six months to a year. It’s understandable that you may want to tackle that outdated paint color the second you move in, but it’s best to get settled before starting any major projects.
Although moving into your first home can be an expensive and overwhelming experience, it’s a milestone to be excited about and embrace with excitement. Keep these tips in mind when moving into your new home to make the process a little less intimidating.