How to Pick a MoverApril 7th, 2016
Moving into a new home is an exciting and overwhelming experience. If you’re getting ready for a big move, you’ve probably considered hiring professionals to help you do the job – but how do you find the right moving company for the job? Learn more about what you should think about before choosing a moving company.
- Ask around. See if any of your friends or family have had positive experiences with a particular mover. While you can easily conduct a search online, word of mouth is the best way to discover a trustworthy moving company. Not only do you get to hear what previous customers have to say, but you’re also getting an opinion you can trust.
- Research online. If you don’t know of anyone that’s moved recently, conduct a search online. Read reviews on sites like Angie’s List and Home Advisor, and check a moving company’s website and social channels for reviews as well. The Better Business Bureau will give you a rating of a moving company, as any complaints that were filed against them by past customers. This research will help you when it comes time to make your overall decision.
- Check for licenses and insurance. Make sure the moving companies you’re looking into are licensed and insured. If you are moving out of state, you will need to find a business that has received a U.S. DOT number certifying that they are registered with the Department of Transportation. If you are staying in state, check with your local consumer affairs agency for specifics.
- Get estimates. Schedule appointments with at least three moving companies for in-home estimates. Reputable moving companies will not give you an estimate via email or over the phone, as they need to actually see your belongings first to give you an accurate appraisal. If you are hiring a professional for an interstate move, note that they are required by law to give you a copy of a booklet entitled, “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.”
- Display what’s to be moved. Once you’ve narrowed down your company selection, meet with an employee to go over everything that needs to be moved. This is the time to discuss dates and times, as well as any items that require special care or attention.
Moving can be demanding, but deciding on a reputable moving company shouldn’t add to your list of concerns. Be certain to follow these tips and advice when hiring a professional mover.
For the best movers in Bucks County, reach out to Mooney’s Moving today for a free quote.